Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Great Saturday!

On Saturday, after our family's weekly trip to Trader Joes, I had the privilege of eating lunch at The Swan Couch House for Aunt Julia's 90th birthday. The Swan Coach House is a very proper lady luncheon southern restaurant. I have been there a handful of times for wedding showers and other special events. It can be a little pricey, but, it is worth the experience if you ever come to Atlanta, especially if you want a taste of southern culture and tradition.


Along with my sister-in-law Jennifer and my mother-in-law Susan, we celebrated Aunt Julia's 90th birthday. You would not believe that she is 90 years old! She is still very active planting flowers and herbs in her yard, sewing clothes, driving, doing lunch dates with her friends and being a very active member of her church. Aunt Julia is in amazing shape! Of course, I would have loved to have had my camera, but these picture will have to do!

This is back in April when Aunt Julia came for Nana's birthday. 
Mary Taylor really enjoys her!

This is last Christmas when Aunt Julia and Grandmother Dot 
are reading a book to cousin Dexter.

After our lunch, I ventured off for an afternoon all to myself! Yes, my hubby had the kids at his parent's house for the day. It was a much needed break! Thanks sweet husband, even though the next day was Father's Day!

My favorite place to go once I get a moment to myself is not the mall, but...thrift store shopping! I think I have an addiction! I love finding great expensive things for nothing! It works well for our budget and it is really really fun! This day, I decided to go to one of my favorites, Thriftique. After showing up at their normal location, I realized Thriftique had moved to a new one right down the street in a much bigger and nicer building. It is right next to a train track with trains that come by every thirty minutes. I can't wait to bring Henry, he has an obsession with trains, like all boys! I can shop while Henry and Mary Taylor watch the trains out the window. 

After I had collected my seven cloth napkins for 25 cents each and my grey Gap t-shirt for a $1.00, I brought it to the check out counter where an African American women was talking about her trip overseas to another women. Out of curiosity and trying to make conversation, I asked the lady where she had gone? She, Jacqueline, said, "I went to Uganda." My stomach dropped and my face lit up. I asked her, "What were you doing over there?" Jacqueline was over in Uganda helping at an AIDS hospital for women. Of course, I proceeded in telling her, "We are in the process of adopting a child from Uganda." Jacqueline was shocked and thrilled that we were adopting. She was over in Uganda with a chrisitan organization and her faith grew tremendously as a result of being there. I was just in "ah" of God and how he works. So encouraging and confirming he makes my steps! God is so good! I had tears in my eyes as I continued to talk to Jacqueline and her friend Eloise for the next thirty minutes about Uganda. Jacqueline gave me a big huge hug before I left and I promised her I would bring her a picture of our child as soon as we get one, hopefully within the month! What are the chances of me meeting her? There are no chances, just God's perfect plan. Not only did we get to talk about Uganda, but I think I have made some great new friends. Life in Christ is never boring or mundane, it is always an adventure and an amazing story that continues to unfold!

I continue to be amazed at God's blessings!

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny, Melissa! I am TOTALLY addicted to thrift store shopping! Thrift stores are the first place I head when I have time to get away by myself!!! Most all of my families clothes come from thrift stores, you can find the best stuff! I bet y'all have some incredible thrift stores in Atlanta! If I ever get down there, I will have to get some suggestions from you! Sounds like we have alot in common! bobi bobbitt, edenton, nc
    ps. in case you didn't get my previous comment, I have been following your blog as we are considering adopting from ethiopia after being inspired by lucy lane's gotcha day video! headed to nashville this month for an AGCI conference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!