My husband, Dee, did believe in Santa Clause. At the age of 8 years old, he was devastated to find out that Santa Clause was not real. He then remembers asking his mother, "Is Jesus real?" I am sure this is an extreme case, but it probably does confuse young children.
As I was looking for a nativity set on-line, I came across this one with Santa and baby Jesus. Pretty funny! I guess some people are trying to incorporate both. At least Santa is worshiping baby Jesus. Just a little confusing!
The last couple of years, I have taken Henry to see Santa Clause at the mall, just for the fun. This year, we did not get a "spot".You have to sign up in October to see Santa Clause at Phipps Plaza. I know, it is kind of ridiculous! But you get cute pictures and a sweet video that we watch over and over again. Oh, well, I have been too busy with two children. When we talk about Santa Clause, I always make a point to tell him, " Santa Clause is just pretend, Jesus is the real reason for Christmas. He is the one who rescued us from sin." Henry still asks questions about Santa Clause and seems to enjoy the fantasy of him. He almost insists on him being real.
Most of our focus this year has been on Christ and his coming. We started doing the Jesse Tree, that my good friend Andrea informed me of. Such a neat tradition to start with your family. I am also learning how the whole bible is truly about Jesus and the sacrifice he is to us. We have been reading the
Jesus Story Book Bible along with the Jesse Tree. They make for a great combo! We really want Henry and Mary Taylor to understand that Jesus is the gift to us, not these worldly possessions that leave you empty.
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have
seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the
Father, full of grace and truth.
-- John 1:14I have been following Noel Piper's blog for a while now. She referenced a great article
"Thinking About Santa" on the Desiring God website.
**We have had a dely in our paperwork. We are in the process of switching to a new homestudy agency, because we did not agree with the first ones policies. This is frustrating to me, but I am trusting in God's timing, not mine.

Great post! You ARE a good write!
ReplyDelete