Sunday, December 13, 2009

Picture Perfect Christmas Card

How do other people get such great pictures of there kids? Oh, professional photography! Well, we have never had any professional pictures taken of our kids, other than a friend of ours who took Henry's picture when he was 7 months old. I am such a perfectionist, I am worried if I pay all this money, I would expect the photographer to transform my children into these "perfect little creatures" and I would never be satisfied with the results. Maybe one day if God provides the money, I will go for it! I have a nice camera that I attempt to take pictures with. It came from Wolf Camera along with free photography classes that I have been unable to use, considering it is hard to find the time with two young children.

So I am left to take pictures of my children on my own! I often ask my husband to help me, but he gets a little tired of my picture taking habit! So yesterday, I attempted to take Christmas card pictures on my own. This is a test of patience for me. These are the end results.





Ahh, this is so sweet! But we are taking a Christmas picture!

 Smile Henry and Mary Taylor!!

Take the shepherd out of your mouth!  Henry smile pretty!

Mary Taylor sit up!

I am trying to take a Christmas picture! Smile Henry!

No, No Mary Taylor!

Sit down Mary Taylor! Smile Henry! Calm down!
I will give you a cookie if you smile pretty!


I know it is cold, but just one good picture and we can go inside.
Mary Taylor don't fall! Henry turn around!


Henry put your head up! We are almost done!


Oh, this could be it! Mary Taylor and Henry say cheeeeese!



Well, this one is pretty good. They are both facing forward and their eyes are open!
What more can you ask for with two kids that don't agree with what you are doing to them?

I know this is funny, but at the time I was not laughing, I was frustrated that I could not control them. So much of my life is out of my control. I often do not get a break from the endless battle with two strong willed, opinionated, dramatic children. "I just want to have one good picture! How hard can this be?" But, this is truly an impossible task! Everyone that has kids knows it! I was trying to take things into my own hands, instead of trusting God. I believe that if I get one good picture of my kids, then I will be truly happy and be like all the other people who have professional pictures of their children! ( So silly, when I really think about it) All this picture taking session did, was reveal how sinful I really am and how I want to be my own god. And, my poor kids! I made them pretty upset too! We were all glad when it was over! Besides, the crazy pictures depict their true personalities and show real life, not a picture perfect one I am trying to portray.




6 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I found your blog via a post you made on Katie Davis' blog. It seems we have a few things in common. I am a mom to three boys, though, no girls at my house - yet! I was a teacher before I quit to stay home with the kids and now my husband and I are praying, feeling led to adopt from Africa. Uganda is one of our possibilities, as we have learned so much from Katie and her sister, Gwen, through the blog world. I've spoken to Amani Baby Cottage, but had not heard of the agency you are working with. I am going to Google them and give them a call. I'm glad to have found your blog and look forward to seeing how you and your family travel through your adoption journey!
    Blessings,
    Jodi Widhalm
    www.journeytolife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this! We spent most of last night trying to find a picture of us, too. The best card I ever got was one of 2 kids crying! It's just reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh because this has been my experience so many times!!!

    I have just started following your blog and I am excited to see what God is going to do!! We also have a heart to adopt from Africa, (not totally sure where exactly yet) and adopted from China this year. It is such an exciting adventure and you never know what God is going to do through it all.

    Blessings to your sweet family,
    Naomi
    www.lydiahope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've all been there. I appreciate your honest look at picture taking :) The best was a "professional & expensive" photo shoot (luckily for Grandma's Christmas photo)when my oldest was 9 mths. It was he and his 2 cousins, in lovely matching Kelly's Kids outfits, another gmother treat. . . the best photo that came out of it, had the youngest 2 crying and the oldest 6 yr. old with his fingers in his ears...my MIL sent it anyway with the caption "Peace On Earth".
    Best Card ever, with a sense of humor. Blessings,
    Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. melissa- these pictures are precious. Love the concept of resisting the need to look "perfect". Neema and I can't wait to meet you whenever we get back to Atlanta! Take care. :)
    <><Heath

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, Melissa! Next time, let's do it during a (small) play group. We took the Teachey's pic and vice-versa--having 4 adults entertaining the kids helped a LOT with the stress:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!