Tuesday, May 25, 2010

USCIS Approval!!!

We sent our homestudy to USCIS on May 14th and we received our I-171-H form on May 22nd! It only took 8 DAYS to get approved!!! It usually takes so much longer, but it seems that things are speeding up. We are so so so very excited!!! This means that our homestudy will be sent to the orphanage in Uganda and we will be on their waiting list to receive a referral! Our social worker at Generations said it will be at least six weeks for us to receive one. That is not very long, compared to some who wait months for a referral. In six weeks, we could know who our next child will be. Crazy!! It is hard to believe this is all really happening! So neat to see God's plans unfolding right before our eyes!

We specified in our homestudy we wanted boy, but if the orphanage only has girls, obviously, a girl would be wonderful! Because this is our first adoption and we have small children, we felt that the Lord was calling us to ask for a healthy 0-2 age child with minor disabilities, or non at all. But if you are in the process of adopting or already have several adopted children, you know any child that has been institutionalized for any length of time will have some problems and we are prepared God will give us his strength to handle it. Yes, I would be foolish to say I am prepared to handle a child with disabilities, but if that's his will the Lord will guide us one day at a time. Obviously, this is in the Lord's hands, and he knows exactly the child for our family and this little boy or girl was predestined to be with us from the beginning of time. Soooo neat to think about!! Besides, this is our child, and just like anyone's biological child, you will do anything for them.

I feel so blessed to be apart of what God is doing all over the world. I am so excited to see how he pieces this whole story together! I know it will not be easy and there will be times that I don't understand what God is doing, but I know that through suffering there is joy.

"No one will calmly and quietly submit to bear the cross except those who have learned to seek their happiness beyond this world." John Calvin


9 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful! Congratulations on being one step closer to your child! I can't wait to hear the next piece of news.

    Love in Jesus,
    Amy

    PS
    We made a video about our pre-adoption with the same song that plays on your blog. If I can find it, I'll send it to you. That song touches me in a very deep place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! I know you are so excited! Can't wait to see who your new sweet baby will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you and Dee. I am just excited about meeting him. I can't stop thinking about you having another baby. I have already been planning what to bring you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Anonymous is Shelley!!!!! I hope this makes you laugh. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa I'm so happy to hear your good news. I love your heart and the perspective that you share. Encouraged by you as always. Can't wait to meet the child the Lord has for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Only 8 days for approval is incredible!! I can't remember how long we waited, but it was more like weeks or even months I think. Just saw that you may receive a referral in 6 weeks! Things are finally moving along... I can't stop smiling for you. And for that precious child waiting for you in Uganda. :) He has no idea how much love he is about to experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa -- We are on vacation in Hilton Head and I'm catching up on blogs. This is fantastic news! Dan and I will be praying for things to keep rolling along. We are so excited for your family and can't wait to hear more. It is so exciting to think that God already has it all planned out and He knows exactly who will be joining your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!