Friday, April 2, 2010

Jesus relationship with his Father

I have just begun reading A Praying Life, by Paul E. Miller. So far, it discusses why and how we should pray.
Come overwhelmed with life. Come with a wandering mind. Come messy. (pg. 33)
My mind can make me crazy sometimes. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed with cleaning, laundry, spending time with your kids, loving your husband, being a good friend.... When I actually do sit down and pray during these feelings, God meets me where I am and he grants me clarity to see the world through his eyes, instead of my own. If I would only rest in him more, then I would know what it means to be "in Christ."
Learning to pray doesn't offer you a less busy life, it offers you a less busy heart. (pg.25)
While Jesus was on earth, he was the most dependent human that ever lived. Jesus was completely and utterly dependent on his Father in heaven. He defines himself only in relationship with his Father. Since the fall, we have all been on a quest for self-identity. We are constantly trying to figure out who we are, what our needs are, how to satisfy them. Jesus has no self that is separate from God, he has no identity crisis, no conflict with good and evil. He never tried to "find himself." Jesus only knows himself in the relationship with his Father. Jesus loved to get away from the crowds and pray to the one he loved and so much needed. So, when he was on the cross, he experienced extreme agony from being separate from his Father. "Jesus anguish is our normal." (pg.45)
If you know that you, like Jesus, can't do life on your own, then prayer makes complete sense. (pg.44)
I have never thought of Jesus needing his Father that much before. I have always thought Jesus was God, so he needed nothing, because he was God. Wow, this is such a different perspective. I pray that we all know that Jesus died the worst death possible and was separated from his Father, because he took all the sins of the world upon his shoulders. He experienced HELL for us, so that we might share in his righteousness and have right relationship with God. Thank you Jesus.

I wanted to share one of my favorite songs, by Stuart Townshed, written in 1995.

"How Deep the Father's Love for Us"

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory
...
Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
...
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His death has paid my ransom



I pray that we all understand our great need for this amazing sacrifice.

2 comments:

  1. I love that song and came into my head just the other day! I never thought as much about Jesus being utterly dependent on the Father while He was here...thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great quotes. I think all are underlined in my copy! I'd love to discuss sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!