Dee and I have been praying and asking for guidance for the last couple of weeks. There is a great need to adopt domestically and internationally for different reasons. We feel that God is leading us to adopt from Uganda. All I think and dream about is Ugandan children. We pray that if Uganda is not where our child is, that God would redirect our steps to another country. Until then, here we go!!
We filled out an application to use Generations in Waco, TX. This is an adoption agency that started only two years ago, but Lifeline helped them get started. Like I said in another post, they have not completed one adoption in Uganda to date. Right now, there are five families in the process of adopting. The first family should have their child by the end of the year.
Most families that decided to adopt from Uganda do not use an agency. They go straight to the orphanages to adopt a child and they travel to the country at least twice. Uganda has only been open for international adoptions for three years. It is the "wild west" of adopting compared to Ethiopia. So nothing is really established in Uganda, but that makes this an adventure!
Our next step in the process is a phone interview and then we start our home study. This whole process usually takes 7-9 months. So we should have our child home with us by this summer! This gives me chills! When we go pick up our child in Uganda, Dee and I will go over together, but he will come home after a week. I will stay another 2-4 weeks. Leaving my kids will be hard. But, if this is where our child is, then it is worth it!!
We filled out an application to use Generations in Waco, TX. This is an adoption agency that started only two years ago, but Lifeline helped them get started. Like I said in another post, they have not completed one adoption in Uganda to date. Right now, there are five families in the process of adopting. The first family should have their child by the end of the year.
Most families that decided to adopt from Uganda do not use an agency. They go straight to the orphanages to adopt a child and they travel to the country at least twice. Uganda has only been open for international adoptions for three years. It is the "wild west" of adopting compared to Ethiopia. So nothing is really established in Uganda, but that makes this an adventure!
Our next step in the process is a phone interview and then we start our home study. This whole process usually takes 7-9 months. So we should have our child home with us by this summer! This gives me chills! When we go pick up our child in Uganda, Dee and I will go over together, but he will come home after a week. I will stay another 2-4 weeks. Leaving my kids will be hard. But, if this is where our child is, then it is worth it!!

SO excited to be on this journey with you Melissa!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, so exciting- this summer!!
ReplyDeleteWe are also going to Uganda this summer! So exciting!!! Lifeline told us that one of us would have to be in country for 4 to 6 weeks (and the other of us just for the first 10 days.) Please let me know if you find out you'll really only need to be there 2 to 4 weeks... I'd love to find out how!!! I'll be dying to get me & our baby home to Daddy & big sister!!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you. We are in the exact same place. . . praying, praying, and still feeling so strongly about Uganda. I resent an email to Amani this morning just to be sure that door is closed. Can't wait to follow you through this journey.
ReplyDeleteOh, I think I wrote that wrong. I meant to say the same thing you said. But the Generations website said 3-5 weeks instead of 4-6, but they have not completed one yet, so that might tell you something. The reason I said 2-4 weeks, is because there are 2-4 weeks left after my husband leaves. Does that make sense? So, they told me 3-5 weeks.
ReplyDeleteWe are turning our application in sometime in the next week...perhaps we'll get to travel together! At this point, we plan to take Ellie and Chad for that first 10 days, and then the three of them will come back and I'll stay until its all completed.
ReplyDelete