Sunday, November 29, 2009

God's eyes or the worlds?

       As we move forward with this adoption. We encounter many people's opinions and reservations about our decision. Most people are excited and think it is really neat, but for others it is foreign and out of their comfort zone. Believe me, before God changed my heart, I hardly ever paid attention to the orphans and widows of the world. Six months ago, I would have said you are crazy if you think I am going to have another child right now, much less adopt a child from Africa. 
            
         God has truly opened my eyes to the pain and hurt of children without a family. He has given me his eyes for orphans. He has given me a love for Africa, even though I have never been there. He has changed my perspective on how I live my every day life with two kids. Yes, it is going to be hard to add a third child to our family and have my two youngest kids be so close in age. But, God has humbled me and shown me that when there is less of me, there can be more of him. This is how we are designed, to worship him forever and experience true joy. There are so many distractions that keep us from really ever experiencing God. Through reading various blogs, people talk about how passionate the African orphan children are about God. They seem to truly know him and experience his love, despite the fact that they are hungry, dirty, and without a home. ( Katie Davis' Blog) Wow, I want to know God like this! I am confident that he will finish what he has started in me! He truly does seem to be calling us to adopt from Africa. If this is his will, I want to be right in the middle of it! 

This verse brings much comfort to me:

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm: though he stumble he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37; 23-24

We picked out our Christmas tree at Home Depot today, but I still took pictures anyway! I am a scrap booker.... and now a blogger!! :)



2 comments:

  1. These pictures are so cute!! Melissa, it's so neat to see how quickly God changed your heart (not necessarily about adoption, because you were already considering it...but about timing!) I can't wait to travel this journey with you. The process for Africa is so different from China, so I am eager to learn from you since we've thought about adopting from there in the future. I am so thankful to have friends going down this road together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across your blog after reading Katie's blog this week. I am intrigued with what Katie is doing in Uganda and I'm excited about the journy your family is embarking on. How neat!!!! May God bless you in this process of adopting. I love how you said God adopted you when you were in highschool. I was nine when He adopted me.... and our children were infants when we adopted them. One of them is now a child of God and he recently figured out he can now say he's been adopted twice. Cool stuff going on the Kingdom of God. I would love to follow your blog to see how God continues to work out his plan for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!