Saturday, February 6, 2010

Craft Inspiration for the LOVE month

       I have once again been inspired by Andrea over at Babe of my Heart blog. Andrea and I go way back to college at Auburn University in Alabama. We first hit it off when we were in East Asia on a summer project with Crusade. We really bonded on that trip, especially when the people told us, "Too small! You need big size!" We laughed and sang our way through that summer. Literally, we sang Titanic's 'Love Must Go On' in every taxi ride along with the taxi drivers. That was the only way we could relate to them without knowing Mandarin. That summer we learned to think outside of ourselves and see the world through God's eyes. God's love compelled us to love others! God continues to weave our lives together and now we are supporting each other to adopt children from Africa. I am thrilled to have her on this journey of adoption.
       Andrea is a very talented person to say the least. She really enjoys doing crafts with her kids and has the best ideas that are simple and easy to do. I love reading her blog for many reasons, but one of my favorite reasons is to steal all her great holiday and craft ideas! So far, for the month of February, I have been organized enough to do some of them. I hope to get to some of the others soon!
       The first craft I did was the Valentine Fortune Cookies. Henry has been opening one cookie per day since February 1st and will continue until Valentines Day. The pink, white, and red felt cookies are a great way to start the day with a little message from God about his love for us! Henry was a little confused by the name, 'cookie', so I let him have a jelly bean or candy heart along with the verses to make it a little more special (he's a three year old)! My favorite part about this is, next February, I can pull out my valentine's box and these felt cookies will be ready to go.
   My next craft was inspired by Andrea too, but I did an easier valentine centerpiece over my kitchen/dinning room table. All, I did was cut out hearts and glue them together. Then I used a hole punch to punch a hole for the grosgrain ribbon and then attached it to my 1980's chandler. I am was a scrapbooker, so I have lots of card stock paper and ribbon. No time to scrapbook in the middle of the adoption process! Anyway, I try to get Henry to help me with these projects, but he lasts about 30 seconds and then he is off again, running around the house. I am so glad I have a girl, Mary Taylor is already showing more interest than Henry!   
 The last craft that we have attempted so far, is the Valentine Window Mobile. We tried this tonight and it was really easy and they turned out great. What I love most about this craft was the fact that I did not have to leave my house to get any supplies. All you need is wax paper, crayons, string, ribbon, scissors, knife, marker, towel, and an iron. I don't think I melted the crayons enough, but they still look pretty cute! Tomorrow, I am excited to see what they will look like in the daylight when the sun comes through the window.
 
Last night, my sweet husband came home with these beautiful flowers!
(not to mention he was late, but that is not the point)
So thoughtful! Love is in the air!



   

1 comment:

  1. thats cool that you did that...very cute valentine decorations!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging words!