My sin is so ugly and it creeps up on me without even realizing it. The past several days, I have been frustrated because I cannot buy things to organize my house and make my life easier, much less buy spring clothes, like I deserve to buy... "Everyone else is doing it." I took it out on my husband last night, after he told me how ridiculous I was being. The Lord convicted me and by the end of the night I was asking God what is wrong with me? How can I be so excited about saving money one moment for our adoption and the next minute angry that I can't buy new salad bowls, because all five are chipped in several places. I know that all this "stuff" does not bring true joy, but in the moment, I sure would like to have a new laundry divider, now that I am washing lights in one wash and darks in another (long story). I want, to want the things of the Lord, but often I want the things of the world. The Lord has shown me how ridiculous I really have been by allowing me to read this post, "M". The sufferings of these children are more than I can bear. This puts all my petty frustrations to rest. How could I not want to save my money for one of these children? How can I live the way I do and know that these kids do not have food, water, beds, and a mother or a father. Jesus, change my heart! Oh, come rescue us from this world!
So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:21-25
What a great verse to encapsulate your recent struggle! Some things never change even through history. We still go through the same things Paul did years ago.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I feel like the Holy Spirit and my flesh battle it out all day. Some days the good wins and some days worldly desires trump the things of God. Perfection cannot take place on this earth, but to "want the things of the Lord" is such a great place to start!
Kudos, Melissa. Keep pressing forward. God is merciful and full of grace!
friend, i just want you to know that i feel and go through the EXACT same feelings as you! One minute I'm all about saving every penny for adoption and the next minute I'm dreaming about how it would be nice to buy new clothes or bedding...i cannot stand my sin!
ReplyDeleteoh how I struggle with this too! Today, I just found myself at a home improvement store wishing I could buy pillows for two chairs outside. Do I really need them?? OF course not!! I need to remember that I am blessed to have chairs outside in addition to our home which is full of places to sit. Thanks for being so honest...know you aren't the only one!
ReplyDelete