Well, I do know that Charles Tucker is being well cared for in a babies home in Kampala, Uganda. I cannot give many specifics because it could impede our adoption process. But, Charles Tucker is approximately 22 months old, two months older than my youngest, Mary Taylor, but he seems to be a little shorter and smaller than Mary Taylor. When he was brought to the babies home he was malnourished, but in the last three months he has gained a significant amount of weight. He is now in the 3rd percentile for weight and height. So he seems to be relatively healthy, according to information the babies home sent me and based on Dr Roe's assessment upon seeing him a couple of weeks ago, which I am so grateful for!! According to Dr. Roe and a couple of people I have been in contact with through email, seemed to know Charles Tucker has some good little buddies his own age at the babies home that are keeping him company. Some of these other children at the babies home have been matched with families too! I have been in contact with five of these families...what a blessing they have all been to me through this process. I cannot wait to connect to more families who have been matched with these precious children in our babies home. Our children will forever be connected to one another.
Babies Home-June 25, 2010-information they gave us about his physical and emotional development was this:
He likes playing with other children and the aunties. He plays most of the time and responds to aunties commands (obedient).. He is jolly. He likes to play a lot especially riding bikes and swinging. He has a good appetite and no trace of allergies. He likes to drink a lot especially fruit drinks. He enjoys eggs, minced meat, rice, and irish (?) He does not talk much, but he is trying to murmur.
Babies Home update on Charles Tucker-July 16, 2010
-he is so jolly now days
-he is learning to imitate some words like "kokoka" meaning motor car
-he learned to play with others and even shares his play objects
-he loves playing with all objects but specifically likes riding
-he us showing interest in praying
-of all the foods served, he enjoys rice most.
-he is trying to adjust to his new name ): (This makes me sad-maybe we should have thought through this a little more-trusting God with this one.)
Like I said I have found several missionaries over the internet that have sent me pictures about Charles Tucker and also told me about their experiences with him. I will treasure all of these pieces of his life that I have missed, but I am grateful for these little glimpses.
Back in May and June, a lady named Megan spent some time at our babies home and she said,
"Charles is darling-incredibly sweet and loving. When you are there I really hope you get to meet his best friend "D". He and Charles are like peas in a pod. There was this one afternoon when I was feeding Charles and an auntie was feeding "D". All of a sudden Charles started refusing his food and I couldn't figure out why and the auntie said, "its because "D" stopped eating." I was thinking to myself that that couldn't be true until the auntie pulled "D"s chair around so that Charles couldn't see him and instructed me to try again and it worked! They are both around the same age so they're best friends. Charles is also one of the most photogenic children I have ever met. You'll be able to see that from the great pictures I got of him."
Sharon said:
"I remember his cute little face like it was yesterday! He is precious! I miss the babies there so much."
Rachel said:
"First of all, you should know that your babies home is wonderful. The babies are so loved, while we were there we saw plenty of staff to care for all the kids and I love that even though there were plenty of visitors to keep the kids entertained or held, the aunties would just hang out still. they would cuddle the kids and were so kind to us. I really do believe it to be a beautiful and loving home for kids.
The first time we visited the babies home it was evening and the babies had just been laid down in their cribs. Most were still very awake though. All the girls on our team had gotten straight to a crib and a sweet baby like nobody's business, we all love babies! I walked to a crib at the farthest end of the room, really hoping there would be a baby and that it would like me. Your little guy looked up at me and reached out. I picked him up and we just stared at each other and the swarm of white girls that had invaded the room. He was quiet for a little while and at first it made me nervous and broke my heart. I couldn't get him to smile or anything really. Suddenly we somehow started a little game where he would point at the ceiling like "what's that?" About two minutes later I heard the most beautiful laugh. He has the most amazing smile. We went to the playg room and hit the soccer ball back and forth for a bit. He loved to surprise me and throw it out of reach or when I wasn't looking. He'd fall over on his side laughing and sometimes even mocking me! We said goodbye later, and all the babies pitched one big chorus of crying. I felt bad for the aunties, but we glad we got to see them We went back to the babies home twice more. I noticed Charles liked to play with cars, the ball and stealing my water bottle. We read a few books and he rode around on one of the little jeep/car things with his friend. They also played with some blocks for a little while. then there were a few sweet moments where we just chilled out and he sat in my lap or cuddled on my shoulder."
Wish I could show you all a picture, but hopefully soon! Trust me, he has the most precious little face. I can't wait to give him a big kiss!
Soon these updates will come from you!
ReplyDeleteIn Uganda, "irish" is potatoes!
ReplyDeletePraying for all of you!
Love in Jesus,
Amy
So precious. Such important little moments. What a gift!
ReplyDeletePrecious updates! It sounds like he is doing great! I know that you treasure all the info you can get about him! Can't wait until ya'll get to bring him home!!
ReplyDeleteMelissa- praying this time goes by so quickly for you. Love you! :)
ReplyDeleteHeath
Oh Melissa, I am so excited for you and so excited for us! I can't wait for our referral. What wonderful news about how he is doing... I can't wait to see what he looks like!
ReplyDeleteNow, I must ask... (you can pm me on FB if you want)... about the name changing thing... what is your take on this now? We have been thinking of names and have kind of decided that depending on what it is (because of our last name) that we'll decide at that point to keep / change it. Since you're a little ahead of us in this process, what are your thoughts? I have mixed feelings / thoughts about it... so I'm just curious...