Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The last full day in Uganda...

Our last couple of days in Uganda were filled with collecting various Ugandan crafts and memorabilia for Charles Tucker's new room in America. I want to make sure he remembers where he is from and continue to learn about his heritage. So I found a Ugandan flag, a Ugandan map, a large giraffe, various picture books about Africa and specifically Uganda, traditional Ugandan outfits for all of our kids, and a Ugandan painting for our living room. Our driver David was probably exhausted after I dragged him and Charles Tucker from one craft market to the next...I just knew I wasn't going to be back for ten more years...so it was now or never!!

The next day, I just hung out at our guest house and packed our bags in hopes I would get my visa the next day and be on a flight home. While I packed....Charles Tucker played with his favorite buddies Hannah and Joseph.

They were fasinated by the two chickens in the backyard who were bought by the Latores. The Latores plan to kill both chickens themselves to put in their soup tomorrow night. I don't think I have ever been so close to something that only had one day to live. It was really sad..don't they look scared?? I know I am being silly, but it is really sad when I think about it. Today they are alive...tomorrow they will be eaten by several humans in a soup with carrots and celery...weird.



Then the threesome came back inside and decided to play in the pack'n'play, where they had the best time of their lives....





After fun time of pure bliss and excitement ended with Hannah getting hurt. I was out of the room for five whole minutes when I heard all the kids running toward me while Hannah was crying. I instantly freaked out, thinking she hit her head. I called for Auntie Julie to come in and interpret, while Joseph reenacted what happened. Joseph managed to tell us she fell off the side of the pack'n'play and landed on her arm on the concrete floor. I instantly called Dan to break the news that his sweet Hannah had an accident under my care. I felt horrible. But, Dan knew they were about to get on a plane to fly back to America and they could take her to a doctor when they get back...he wasn't worried, especially sense she stopped crying after a while and wanted to eat. When they got back to the states they realized she broke her collar bone. Poor Hannah. I am just praying it heals fast.

A few hours after this fall, these precious Ugandan children traveled to America to be united with their forever family!! Praise God! They are now having the best time adjusting to their new family in Georgia. If you would like to follow their journey now with their new family of seven, go to Good to Be Crazy.

In the late afternoon, Charles Tucker and I ventured up a half mile on a "boda boda" to the babies home. It was our first and last "boda boda" ride before we left the next day. If I had known how comfortable I was going to feel, I won't have been so afraid to try it with CT. Oh, well...we always have next time...in ten years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging words!