Oh, how I am enjoying Uganda...I have had some really "real" Ugandan experiences the last couple of days. I am so blessed that CT is such a great traveler, he just tags along where ever we go..
Yesterday morning we traveled back to the IOM to check CT's x-rays and get a detailed medical report for the judge. This new judge who just started working in October, does not understand the concept of "adoption" and he is very concerned about us "Muzugos" (White person in Lugandan, the main language spoken besides English) coming over to Uganda to take children. They have no concept of what "adoption" means. They cannot imagine us Americans, who have "money trees in our back yards" and perfect, fairy tale lives," coming to Uganda to make an orphan part of our family. Ugandans have a hard enough time taking care of their children, rarely would they have enough money to take on another child. I have heard from our lawyer and others that they are concerned we are going to use Ugandan children for their organs. Wow! Can you imagine?
After waiting an hour and half at the IOM, the x-rays finally arrived from the day before, to be read by the doctor. Praise the Lord, they were clear!!! He does not have TB in his system, he was only exposed. When we get back in the States, CT will have to take medicine for nine months to help clear the exposure to TB. I don't know all the details of this, but I am sure our amazing pediatricians, Laura and David, will be there for us! They have both been to Africa and have a lot of knowledge working with problems CT might have from living here.
The next stop was our lawyer's office, but before we got there, my driver David, made a wrong turn by accident and got pulled over by the police. He made him get out of the car and told him he was going to take him to court. But, then he said, pay me 100,000 shillings, he finally talked him down to 30,000 shillings. He got back in the car and asked me for money, and I handed him 40,000 shillings and the police officer took all of it. He then proceeded to get in the car with us and David drove him about a half of a mile up the road. Later Davie told me, 'if you are really nice to them, they let you off easier,' so that is what he was doing. Forty thousand shillings is about 20.00 dollars or less, so not bad. I think I would have paid whatever he asked, because the police in Uganda are not "your friend". They are corrupt and it is very hard to get out of an offense. David told me he would have lost his drivers permit and it would have cost a lot of money and time to get it back. Thank you Lord we had the money! Yes, TIA! Even though this type of bribing is very common in Africa, I was still a little nervous.
Bribed the police in Africa...CHECK! Caroline...I was thinking of you!!!
Once we dropped of CT's birth certificate, our lawyer informed us that we still have to get passport pictures taken, which he failed to tell us when we were getting the visa pictures. Lack of details is a common problem here. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but you learn to roll with the punches and realize TIA (This is Africa). So off we went, trecking across the city with David, looking for a passport picture place that had power. Wow, was that an experience, dodging "mokakas" (cars) and "boda bodas" (motorcycles). Obviously, personal space is not a concept here. I think I said, "Woh!" at least 50 times in 15 minutes. CT picked up by the fifth time and said it for me! It was too cute! Walking in the traffic is scary, life threatening experience, I would not recommend it.
This is a boda boda...
After we got the passport pictures, we walked to Naddos to eat a late lunch. I got an All-American meal of a hamburger, french fries, and a coke. I needed this after such a long morning! CT loved all the food! It was his first time to eat a "chip"(french fry)...
Then he played on the airplane outside Naddos. The first time I put him on this a couple of weeks ago, he freaked out, but yesterday he loved it. (but I did not put money it, he just played with the steering wheel)...in fact, he pitched a major fit when it was time to go...
That night...I decided to take a taxi, instead of a personal driver, to have more of a real Ugandan experience. I took a taxi to meet a "blog" friend who has been in Uganda for four months trying to get her daughter home. Melissa is a very strong women and I highly respect that she has been over here for so long, while her husband and two girls remain at home. So hard!! But, she has definitely become a local here and takes a "boda boda" everywhere she goes with her baby, Mercy. I love how fearless she is. The "boda boda's" are often dangerous, because they weave in and out of traffic very fast and carelessly.
The taxi's here are very crammed with people and can be very uncomfortable and smelly. But luckily I sat in the front seat next to the window, both times. When I got the the resteraunt where I thought we were meeting, I realized I was at the wrong place, so that meant I had to get another taxi to go the opposite way back toward our guest house. Well, I could not find one taxi that was not full. So I just kept walking. This was the first time I had been in Uganda by myself. I loved it, but at the same time I was a little scared. There are not many "Muzugos" in Kampala, so I am an obvious target. But, I did manage to snap a couple of pictures from the street. These are middle class houses in Uganda...
After twenty minutes, I finally found a hired driver who charged me a lot more than the average taxi, but I was desperate at this point. I was so glad to finally get there and have dinner with Melissa. We had a great time talking about the good, the bad, and the ugly of Uganda. I learned a lot from her. I hope to see her again before she leaves on Monday. She really needs to be with her kids on Christmas, so she is going to leave her baby, Mercy, here until she comes back in January to finish the process. I feel so sorry for her, she has been through so much. But, God is using her in so many people's lives. She is such an encouragement to us! If you would like to follow her story, go to http://www.roadtomercy.blogspot.com/.
***Can't wait to tell you about our experience at "M" (Sixty Feet). We had the most amazing time..It was such a privilege to see those children.
Yesterday morning we traveled back to the IOM to check CT's x-rays and get a detailed medical report for the judge. This new judge who just started working in October, does not understand the concept of "adoption" and he is very concerned about us "Muzugos" (White person in Lugandan, the main language spoken besides English) coming over to Uganda to take children. They have no concept of what "adoption" means. They cannot imagine us Americans, who have "money trees in our back yards" and perfect, fairy tale lives," coming to Uganda to make an orphan part of our family. Ugandans have a hard enough time taking care of their children, rarely would they have enough money to take on another child. I have heard from our lawyer and others that they are concerned we are going to use Ugandan children for their organs. Wow! Can you imagine?
After waiting an hour and half at the IOM, the x-rays finally arrived from the day before, to be read by the doctor. Praise the Lord, they were clear!!! He does not have TB in his system, he was only exposed. When we get back in the States, CT will have to take medicine for nine months to help clear the exposure to TB. I don't know all the details of this, but I am sure our amazing pediatricians, Laura and David, will be there for us! They have both been to Africa and have a lot of knowledge working with problems CT might have from living here.
The next stop was our lawyer's office, but before we got there, my driver David, made a wrong turn by accident and got pulled over by the police. He made him get out of the car and told him he was going to take him to court. But, then he said, pay me 100,000 shillings, he finally talked him down to 30,000 shillings. He got back in the car and asked me for money, and I handed him 40,000 shillings and the police officer took all of it. He then proceeded to get in the car with us and David drove him about a half of a mile up the road. Later Davie told me, 'if you are really nice to them, they let you off easier,' so that is what he was doing. Forty thousand shillings is about 20.00 dollars or less, so not bad. I think I would have paid whatever he asked, because the police in Uganda are not "your friend". They are corrupt and it is very hard to get out of an offense. David told me he would have lost his drivers permit and it would have cost a lot of money and time to get it back. Thank you Lord we had the money! Yes, TIA! Even though this type of bribing is very common in Africa, I was still a little nervous.
Bribed the police in Africa...CHECK! Caroline...I was thinking of you!!!
Once we dropped of CT's birth certificate, our lawyer informed us that we still have to get passport pictures taken, which he failed to tell us when we were getting the visa pictures. Lack of details is a common problem here. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but you learn to roll with the punches and realize TIA (This is Africa). So off we went, trecking across the city with David, looking for a passport picture place that had power. Wow, was that an experience, dodging "mokakas" (cars) and "boda bodas" (motorcycles). Obviously, personal space is not a concept here. I think I said, "Woh!" at least 50 times in 15 minutes. CT picked up by the fifth time and said it for me! It was too cute! Walking in the traffic is scary, life threatening experience, I would not recommend it.
This is a boda boda...
After we got the passport pictures, we walked to Naddos to eat a late lunch. I got an All-American meal of a hamburger, french fries, and a coke. I needed this after such a long morning! CT loved all the food! It was his first time to eat a "chip"(french fry)...
Then he played on the airplane outside Naddos. The first time I put him on this a couple of weeks ago, he freaked out, but yesterday he loved it. (but I did not put money it, he just played with the steering wheel)...in fact, he pitched a major fit when it was time to go...
That night...I decided to take a taxi, instead of a personal driver, to have more of a real Ugandan experience. I took a taxi to meet a "blog" friend who has been in Uganda for four months trying to get her daughter home. Melissa is a very strong women and I highly respect that she has been over here for so long, while her husband and two girls remain at home. So hard!! But, she has definitely become a local here and takes a "boda boda" everywhere she goes with her baby, Mercy. I love how fearless she is. The "boda boda's" are often dangerous, because they weave in and out of traffic very fast and carelessly.
The taxi's here are very crammed with people and can be very uncomfortable and smelly. But luckily I sat in the front seat next to the window, both times. When I got the the resteraunt where I thought we were meeting, I realized I was at the wrong place, so that meant I had to get another taxi to go the opposite way back toward our guest house. Well, I could not find one taxi that was not full. So I just kept walking. This was the first time I had been in Uganda by myself. I loved it, but at the same time I was a little scared. There are not many "Muzugos" in Kampala, so I am an obvious target. But, I did manage to snap a couple of pictures from the street. These are middle class houses in Uganda...
After twenty minutes, I finally found a hired driver who charged me a lot more than the average taxi, but I was desperate at this point. I was so glad to finally get there and have dinner with Melissa. We had a great time talking about the good, the bad, and the ugly of Uganda. I learned a lot from her. I hope to see her again before she leaves on Monday. She really needs to be with her kids on Christmas, so she is going to leave her baby, Mercy, here until she comes back in January to finish the process. I feel so sorry for her, she has been through so much. But, God is using her in so many people's lives. She is such an encouragement to us! If you would like to follow her story, go to http://www.roadtomercy.blogspot.com/.
***Can't wait to tell you about our experience at "M" (Sixty Feet). We had the most amazing time..It was such a privilege to see those children.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your encouraging words!