Saturday, December 11, 2010

Days 10 and 11 in Uganda...

The last couple of days have been hard being in the house with one child in need of constant stimulation who is loud and often annoying to others, a child who is sick, and a child who is trying to understand where he is and who we are..desperately wanting to be loved. Let's just say life with children in Uganda is not for the faint at heart.

The first day Charles Tucker came to live we us, we ventured out to get his passport pictures taken and ate lunch at a fast food restraunt called, "Nandos". It was really good food, very close to what we are used to.
After naps we ventured out from our really nice Western style guest house....

To 100 feet below our house where people are living like this in 2010....

It is shocking and mind blowing.

Dee and I were talking tonight about how much harder life is here, especially with three children. Everything just requires a couple more steps than we are use to, which takes more time and more struggle combined with tired, sick children...which leaves two very worn out parents at the end of each day. But, then we thought about the children and families living right below us with no electricity, no running water, dirty feet...all the time, children who cannot go to the doctor when they get sick, the list goes on....Imagine how tired those parents are? Then....we realized there is not much to complain about. But, I guess it is all in what you are use to....but we are so blessed and spoiled at the same time. We definitely live in a broken and unfair world. But, we know God is good and he has an amazing plan for both extremes...that is the only way to make peace with these circumstances.

But, Henry did not even see the difference between him and these kids. He just stepped right up to them and asked them to play chase and have races. These kids were a little scared at first, but once they warmed up, they were following and laughing at everything he did. Of course Henry ate it up!


The mothers were very curious about Charles Tucker. They just kept looking at him and talking back and forth to one another. (This often happens where ever we go. I often worry that they think I stole him from somewhere...but most people's response is positive...so far..)

This boy seemed to understand Henry's means of communication... 
They all loved running around with him. Henry of course started getting out of hand, so we said "Goodbye.."

We continued our walk a little bit longer down the main street...just to waist some time before dinner. Mary Taylor and Charles Tucker were thrilled to see a goat having his dinner on the side of the road....

Then after we were home an hour, Mary Taylor felt hot and then lost her marbles. I got nervous because anytime you contract a fever in Uganda, you should always go see a doctor because it could be Malaria. If you take care of Malaria within the first several days you will be fine, but if not it could be life threatening. So Dee and I both were highly concerned about her...which led us to make the decision to send her home with him. But, thankfully a couple hours later the doctor informed us that she just had the flu. She was really sick..I felt so sorry for her..poor baby....

So the next day, we just chilled at home...hoping no one else gets it...

Today, Mary Taylor was still feeling under the weather, so I left she and Daddy at home and CT, Henry and I ventured out to the craft market. I wanted to get gifts for our family for Christmas so Dee can take them back on Tuesday. We spent about an hour there before I realized the 10,000 chilings were not 100,000 shillings...meaning, I had only 17,000 shillings left, which is about $8.00. I hardly had money for our driver to get gas...opps.. I will have to come back tomorrow.

Once we got back Mary Taylor was ready to play...so we all went outside in the front yard to say goodbye to Pheona, one of the staff who works for Bridge Africa. She. Is. Amazing. We all love her!!

Everytime she goes home, she gets dressed up like this, and we all ask her if she is going on a date. She just laughs and says, "All the families always ask me that when I go out. I just want to look good when I go out in public." If she only knew what I wore half of my life..workout clothes.  

She is so cute!



Then it was time for some toddler chasing...

The twins...

This is one precious little boy..



And one little girl with a face full of bits....(we do everything we can to prevent them...)

C.T. and Henry don't have a bit on them...

Then sister decided to have a sword fight with brother...not a good idea...

I'm gona getcha...

Ever since we got here 12 days ago, one man has been working on this stone wall. He has cut the rock and created it by hand...Wow! That is a lot of work...In America it would be precut...

Then it was time for bed....Mary Taylor hates her mesquito net, she is always trying to take it off!

C.T. and I laying down ready for bed...

Good night everyone..I have once again stayed up way to late...

*Please continue to pray that no one else gets sick, especially before they head back home on Tuesday. Sick kids on a 24 hour flight would not be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your encouraging words!